The last shifter you ever need,
The Buyer’s Guide and Review
Last modified: March 30 of 2020.
|Shifter SQ V 1.5||Include|
|Editorial Rating||5 Starts|
|Product Page||Clubsport Shifter SQ V 1.5|
Brief Design Overview
Sincerely, I’ve always thought of shifters as funny gadgets, nice to have and fun to play with, but not well suited to serious racing… But well, this shifter comes in a relatively small package, but once you’ve unpackaged it, you realize that it is one of the largest shifters you’ll find.
Its stick is truly comparable to your real car’s shifter stick, Imagining switching your car’s shifter with this one, you realize: Yes, the size is absolutely natural.
- All components are made of metal, it ensures maximum lifetime and durability. (You’ll recognize Fanatec quality on it)
- Looks amazing when you get a whole sim racing set, all organized and easy to clean. (Yes, your mom will be proud)
- This shifter comes with two shifter knobs: One that is more cylindrical, and one that is spherical.
- It is compatible to knobs you can buy at automobile retailers (how amazing is that?) you can actually go to the store and get the skull knob you’ve always dreamed about.
- Its mounting is done with 4 holes on the bottom of it, my personal recommendation is for you to get a table clamp so you can be able to adjust it (yes, it should be included).
- It feels real, I’d ensure you this is a very responsive gadget, so real that if you are used to real-life H-pattern or Sequential shifters (you can actually change from one to another with the flip of a switch), you feel familiar within seconds.
- Do you feel that the shifter is too noisy for your racing room? Yes. It can be adjusted!
- It’s a wonderful experience when you get the right wheel and drive the right car, otherwise, you won’t be able to get all along to the 7th speed and that’s a shame.
- I’m left-handed and I found myself trying to shift from second and accidentally shift into fifth several times, at least several enough for getting used to this detail and being careful about it.
- It’s modeled after the Porsche 911 models, which means that you get the seventh gear.
- I need to admit that is needs better instructions on how to set everything up and get it calibrated.
- It’s entirely made of metal, (I mean TOTALLY, from the inside parts to the outside ones) which equates to mean: built-in quality, durability, and reliability.
- The full metal construction of the shifter assures perfect design. Its impressive weight also testifies to its reliable sturdiness.
Functionality and Feeling
- The Fanatec shifter can be switched between sequential mode and H-pattern mode. You need two hands to accomplish this; don’t cramp the modes with just one hand. (Take a friend’s advice)
- The stiffness (and loudness!) of the shifter can be adjusted steplessly with an Allen key.
- Together with the clutch pedal, it (once again) simply feels natural.
- Doing everything manually is fun, interesting, challenging. It’s like you’re driving a true NASCAR Car
- It’s quite solid, shifts are instant and strong
- The reverse gear with inhibitor prevents accidental shifts (which is really helpful considering the step between 2th and 5th) turning into more realistic handling.
Platforms & Compatibility
The Fanatec website says:
To operate the ClubSport Shifter SQ you must connect it with either one of the following products:
- Compatible to all Fanatec Wheel Bases / Racing Wheels.
- ClubSport USB Adapter (optional!): with the adapter, you can use it on PC with any racing wheel of any brand (e.g. Logitech G29 / G920, Thrustmaster TX), in many games. For more details, see the product page of the ClubSport USB Adapter.
- For PC: The ClubSport Shifter SQ will work in most games, if connected to a Fanatec product with shifter port. Please check the compatibility details on the product page of the connected product.
- Consoles: The ClubSport Shifter SQ can be used on gaming consoles in games that support shifters, if connected through a Fanatec Wheel Base / Racing Wheel. Please check the information on the product page of the Fanatec product through which it will be connected to the console. It will not work on consoles using the ClubSport USB Adapter.
Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ)
- ClubSport Shifter SQ
- Sequential knob
- 2 x connector cables
What does the ClubSport USB Adapter do?
Use the shifter together with Fanatec racing wheels on either PC or consoles like PS4 / Xbox One. It is also compatible with other wheel brands if connected. (PC only).
How many gears does it have?
It’s a 7-speed plus reverse, so it actually has 8 gears.
How much does it weigh?
It’s pretty heavy, it weighs 2.4 kg., 5,25 lbs.
Which wheel should I plug it into?
I highly recommend you to plug it into the ClubSport Wheel so can take advantage of all the gears.
- Only ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5 | | $249.95
SIM racing has become an obsession for many gamers (including me) and the realism this shifter adds to it is pretty awesome, strength, precision, and adjustability makes it worth of trying, even when I’d love it to include a table clamp.
Much more solid than others, accomplished to its function, works really good; the simplicity of its adjustability gives it a big plus for me. The direct connection saves a USB port (a really important fact for a concerned gamer). I’d certainly recommend it for my friends to try.