Fanatec CSL DD Wheelbase Review
GREAT NEWS for today, Fanatec just announces the new CSL DD wheelbase, Coming available for pursuance really soon, this base is the newest direct drive wheelbase ever create for the CSL Series, Claiming to be the new standard for sim racing. Never before has Direct Drive technology been available at this price point, which makes the CSL DD the perfect choice for any sim racer.
A new from the ground custom motor, 100% developed in Germany and specifically designed for sim racing. Its promises to deliver sensational performance thanks to a new patented FluxBarrier™ technology, communicating the nuances of force feedback detail to your hands with remarkable clarity.
The efficiency of the CSL DD motor technology means dynamic force-feedback performance is contained in a small footprint. This is also the first industrial motor to feature a carbon fibre composite motor shaft, which increases responsiveness and acceleration significantly due to low rotational masses.
We knew something was coming to the Fanatec line products, When Fanatec trace us the DOUBLE-D Typos and the “Are you ready!” we knew for sure something was cooking.
And we were right, another footprint was the recent interview with Thomas Jackermeier on the VCO Esports Youtube Channel, the founder, and current CEO of Fanatec, who hinted that an affordable-priced Direct Drive wheel was coming soon than later.
The only missing part was how much will cost? and when will release? Those are questions that we are willing to reveal here.
The Buyer’s Guide and Review
Note: This review is based on the ( Small information ) we have available for this product, but we will be updating this review every day with more fresh and precise info, and with more tech detail in mind.
Last modified: June 21 of 2021.
|Editorial Rating||9.5 ( Update)|
|Ready For||PC / Xbox® / PlayStation®|
|Product Page||Product Page|
Brief Design Overview
- Custom Direct Drive motor specifically development for sim racing
- New FluxBarrier™ technology (optimises motor efficiency and smoothness)
- Dynamic force-feedback performance
- First featuring a carbon fibre composite motor shaft
- Up to 8 Nm of torque ( Optional Boost Kit 180 unlocks maximum torque: 8 Nm peak )
- Upgradable quick release
- Fanatec SDK support ensures game compatibility out of the box for all major racing games
- Standard and advanced Fanatec Tuning Menu
- Wheelbase housing is made from aluminium
Full List Of Features
- Direct-Drive system delivers instant, detailed force feedback.
- Linear, consistent performance (5 Nm peak torque with the standard power supply), but you can unlock the maximum strength of (8 Nm peak torque) with the “optional product” -> Boost Kit 180
- Patented, exclusive FluxBarrier™ technology optimises motor efficiency and smoothness.
- Full game compatibility out of the box for all major racing games.
- Standard and advances Tuning Menu allows beginners and enthusiasts to get started quickly without having to worry about settings or not.
- High-resolution (contactless) Hall-position-sensor, same as Podium Series.
- Steering axis made from carbon fibre-enhanced composite.
- Fanless: The wheelbase housing is made from aluminium that acts as a passive heat sink.
- Welcome to the Wireless: cable-free delivery of power and data to steering wheels.
- New Automotive-grade quick release, exchangeable.
- Easily to adjustable the hard-mounting with the new T-nut rail system
- Front-mounted threaded inserts.
PC: This wheelbase is compatible with your Personal Computer when combined with a Fanatec Steering Wheel. Check the individual Steering Wheel product pages for Wheel Base compatibility.
Xbox®: This wheelbase becomes compatible with your Xbox One® and Xbox Series X|S when used with any Fanatec Xbox-licensed steering wheel.
Playstation®: This wheelbase is not compatible with the PlayStation 4 and the new Playstation 5.
PS5: No PS4: No PS3: No
Xbox: Yes Xbox Series X: Yes
The CSL DD is compatible with
- Fanatec Podium Steering Wheels
- Fanatec ClubSport Steering Wheels
- Fanatec CSL Steering Wheels
- All Fanatec Pedals (adapter cables might be required on pedals without RJ12 connection)
- Fanatec ClubSport Shifters (including ClubSport Static Shifter Paddles)
- Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1 and V1.5
- Fanatec RennSport Cockpits
- ClubSport Table Clamp V2
- CSL DD Table Clamp
- Boost Kit 180
- Podium Mounting Brackets (the CSL DD includes M6 T-nuts for side-mounting; the Podium Mounting
- Brackets require the use of M6 bolts and washers)
- Power supply
- USB-C to PC / console
- Fanatec DataPort-C
- Shifter 1
- Shifter 2 (Sequential only) o Pedal
What is included?
- CSL DD wheel base
- 90W power supply (regional)*
- 4x T-nuts for rail mount system
- USB cable (Type-C to Type-A)
- Quick Guide
*If you select the Boost Kit 180 (180W power supply), the standard power supply is not included.
Optional features you can buy with this product:
Optional Boost Kit 180 unlocks maximum strength (8 Nm peak torque)
CSL DD Table Clamp
- Optional warranty extension available ( Always good for new release products )
Podium DDR VS CSL DD
|Price:||1199,95 $||349,95 $|
|Platform:||PC / Xbox||PC / Xbox|
|Torque:||20 Nm of force||5 Nm of force|
|Rev lights:||Rev Lights on Wheel Base||N/A|
|Quick-release:||Quick-Release System||Automotive-grade, all-aluminium quick release|
|Paddle shifter adjustability:|
|Joystick/ Vibration Motor|
|GRAB YOUR PRODUCT:|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Fanatec’s CSL DD the affordable direct-drive wheelbase out there?
Yes it is, the Fanatec CSL DD is an entry-level wheelbase with high-end quality and performance
Is the CSL DD a replacement for other CSL Bases?
I think It is, sorry for does who just bought a CSS Base, but this new base in my opinion is coming to replace soon than later the all CSL series.
Wondering what they exactly sacrifice at this price point?
To be able to create a direct drive wheelbase at this price point, they for sure sacrifice on some points, what points? too early to know.
Worth the money?
Direct Drive won’t make you a better driver just for having a Direct Drive wheelbase on place, it needs more than that.
The DD Base does not work with PlayStation devices and “and cannot be upgraded to achieve compatibility.” but as we all know Fanatec footprint, will probably sooner than later release a version compatible with the PS4 and the new PS5 Console.
How many nm is the CSL elite?
The DD Base Peak torque is 5 Nm with an optional unlocking of 8 Nm adding the Boost Kit 180
Direct Drive Technology is no longer exclusively available for the high-end Podium Series, making direct drive systems add-ons accessible for the mass and for the majority of sim racers out there.
The CSL DD will become available for 349,95$ US Dollars, + shipping. This is even the same range price as some belt-driven systems on the market right now, definitely a game-changer for the simracing industry and a waking call for other companies.
And as we expected this new release did not go unnoticed, companies like Thrustmaster respond to Fanatec CSL DD Announcement with their own New Formula wheel add-on Ferrari SF1000 Replica Edition.
What thing is clear for us, the future of simracing looks promising than ever before. New and better technologies are available for us and with affordable range prices, making simracing a more attractive industry in 2021.
Fanatec CSL DD Wheelbase349.95
- Entry-level DD wheel
- Pure joy of high fidelity FFB
- Cheapest Direct Drive wheel on the market
- heightened sense of realism
- Exceptionally crisp and dynamic force feedback
- Peak torque of 5 Nm
- What's the future of other CSL bases?
- Not compatible with any PlayStation® console